Thank you for considering adoption from Take Me Home Pet Rescue! Adopting a pet can be such an emotionally rewarding experience, for yourself, your family, and your new pet. By adopting from a rescue such as TMHPR, you’re not only giving a homeless animal a new, forever home and the love he/she deserves, you’re also opening up space for the organization to rescue another animal from a shelter’s death row, the streets, or an abusive situation.
It’s a win-win for everyone – with as much as 40 million homeless dogs and cats in the United States alone, there’s no reason at all to spend a small fortune on an animal from a pet store that likely sources its “inventory” from a puppy mill anyway. Whatever breed, size, temperament, or age you prefer, with a little patience, a little legwork, and an open heart, you’re guaranteed to find the perfect new family member in rescue.
THE ADOPTION PROCESS
At TMHPR, we do our best to match potential adopters with the right pet for their family and their circumstances. If you and your spouse work long hours away from home, an older cat will likely be a better fit for your lifestyle than a puppy. If you have small children, a young dog from any of the herding breeds may not work well for your needs. Of course, there are always exceptions, but in general we work very hard to make sure that the dogs and cats under our care find the best home for them.
Our adoption process is simple and straightforward:
- Visit our Dogs and Cats pages to see if any of our currently available animals capture your eye. Many people also find us through Petfinder, Adopt-a-Pet, or our Facebook page. Please note: We only adopt to the Dallas/Fort Worth area as we require a home visit with every adoption.
- If you’re interested in any of our pets, please fill out one of our Dog or Cat Adoption Forms. Note: The form does not obligate you to adopt from us, and you are certainly not required to fill one out prior to meeting one of our pets. However, we strongly recommend that you do so as having a completed application in hand expedites the process. We do not allow our pets to go on home visits without full reference and vet checks, so being able to do those with a completed application means that a potential adopter may be able to begin a home visit soon after meeting the pet at one of our weekly Meet ‘n’ Greets.
- Once you have filled out the form, come to our Adoption Center at 561 W. Campbell Rd., Suite 303, in Richardson. (We’re located behind Fuzzy’s Taco Shop, in the same strip mall as a thrift store and UTD book store.) There, you’ll be able to meet the animal you’re interested in as well as our other available dogs (and some cats, although many of our cats are either at our local Petsmart cat adoption center or at their foster homes). If you have not filled out an adoption form but would like to meet one of our dogs, please let us know by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’ll be coming to the Meet ‘n’ Greet so that we can make sure that the animal you are interested in will be in attendance.
- After the vet and reference checks have been completed and your application has been approved, we can schedule the home visit. During the home visit, a TMHPR representative will conduct a home inspection, including a fence check to ensure that your fence is secure and locked, and will point out any other potential hazards to your new pet. Please know that we cannot complete a home visit until any hazards and/or potential issues are resolved. We will also collect the adoption fee during the home visit and provide you with information on your new pet and tips on successfully integrating him/her to your family and home.
- The home visit kicks off a 7-day grace period, during which you will have the opportunity to see if you, your family and your new pet are a good match. We ask all potential adopters to please let us know if you experience any difficulties or challenges with integrating the pet into your home. While we endeavor to evaluate all of our animals for temperament during their foster period under our care, animals are like any other living being and can be unpredictable, so if you need assistance with integrating your pet into your home, please let us know and we will work with you and your family in ensuring that the transition is a smooth one.
- If, at any time during the grace period, you determine that the pet is not the best fit for your family, you may return the pet to us and we will refund the adoption fee to you in full. After the 7-day grace period, you may still return the pet to us at any time. However, the adoption fee will be considered a nonrefundable, tax-deductible donation to TMHPR.
- If you do decide to officially adopt the pet, congratulations! You are then the proud parent of a wonderful, loving animal who will provide you with years of loyalty and love. We encourage all of our adoptive pet parents to send us updates, pictures and videos of their new family members so that we can share the good news with our community. Working in rescue has more than its share of challenges, tragedies and heartbreak, but knowing that the animals we’ve saved and fostered are now in loving, forever homes always inspire and cheer us and motivate us to continue our life-saving work.
Dog Adoption Fees
$225.00 – Puppies 12 months or under
$200.00 – Dogs over 12 months
$320.00 – Purebred puppies/giants (our discretion), 12 months and under
$270.00 – Purebred adults (our discretion), 12 months and over
- Health exam by licensed veterinarian
- 3 sets of puppy vaccinations
- Initial fee treatment and any other treatment required to make your pet healthy
Cat Adoption Fees
$145 – Kittens (12 months and under)
$125 – Cats (over 12 months)
$200 – Pedigree cats of any age
$145 – Declawed cats
- Health exam by licensed veterinarian
- Worming/flea treatment
- Current vaccinations
- Click here to complete our online Dog Application Form or to download a paper copy
- Click here to complete our online Cat Application Form or to download a paper copy